Saturday, December 22, 2007

Story of two pictures

I spent the first six years of my life in foster care, living with the family that would later adopt me. In foster care, I had a case worker and counselors. At such a young age, the couselors do not have kids tell them how they feel, they have kids show them by drawing pictures.
When asked to draw a picture of my home, I drew a giant birds nest with several baby birds in it and the mother bird looking after her young. The counselor explained to my Mom that this meant that I felt comfortable and cared for. The baby birds have a safe home to live in and each one is fed and cared for by the mother bird.
When asked to draw a picture of my family, I drew several small stick people and two larger ones with long lines for arms. I'm sure my mother was a bit puzzled as to why I saw her as having such long arms. The couselor explained that the arms represent love. It is the arms that pick us up when we fall, that give the hugs when we need them and even when we don't. The arms carry us when we are unable to walk and feed and dress us.
To this day, I cannot think of a better way to draw my mom than with big long arms that could easily wrap around all of the smaller stick figures and still have room for more.
I love you mom and I will miss you always.

No comments: