Monday, February 18, 2008

What you do, defines you.

I am a coffee drinker. Why? Because I get up every morning and I drink coffee. If I got up every morning and had a glass of orange juice, I would be an orange juice drinker. What I do, defines me. It took me a while to understand the meaning of this concept. It is the actions that I do every day that defines me and makes me who I am.
Sometimes, it defies logic. I am a smoker. I quit smoking and after just one day of not smoking I felt better, had more energy, could breathe easier and food tasted better. So, you would think that I would never smoke again. Well, that would make sense but I gave in to the cravings that I would get even after the physical addiction had been overcome. After weeks of not smoking, I went back to it because my past defines me as a smoker. Past behavior is the best way to predict future behavior.
Obviously we are not locked into these behaviors, people can change. If I was trapped on a deserted Island like Tom Hanks in castaway, I couldn't go to the store and buy a pack of cigarettes. So, I would have to quit. I guess it takes will power or a lack of resources to invoke change.
So, here is the formula for making changes in our lives. Do it for one hour. Repeat that 24 times and you have changed for a day. Repeat that 7 times and you have a weeks worth of change under your belt. Do that 52 times and you have a new history for the past year. Use that history to predict your future and what you do will define the new person that you are. Next year at this time I will be a non-smoking orange juice drinker.

No comments: